Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dinner and a movie

I have a monumental achievement to report. I had dinner...with people! Before last night, I ate dinner by myself with a book or, if I was lazy, with a white wall in front of me. But I was invited to the apartment of two Hebrew University students last night. Roni and Ido invited me along with another student, Marra, for shabbat dinner. We had challah, soup and stir-fry - delicious. I brought wine and desert.

Following dinner, we caught a movie at the Cinemateque, Jeruslem's venue for art films/independent movies, as well as the big American movies. More importantly, the Cinemateque is open Friday night and all day Saturday. Roni convinced me to buy an annual membership, which allows me unlimited movies!!! for the price of 10 movies. We saw the movie Persepolis, an animated French language movie about a girl growing up in Tehran during the Revolution, only to be shipped off to Vienna when the communist/islamist regime became too oppressive and dangerous. It also has many of the stereotypical coming-of-age themes involving love, rebellion and teenage angst. I understood most of it, though I couldn't follow the rapid dialogue that happened in arguments. Overall, I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hey Adam!
Glad to hear you are having a fun time in Israel! It is so funny that you just watched Persepolis, Pil and I just watched it a few nights ago (rented) and we loved it! What a great film, I recommend you see it in english subtitles if you get the chance.

Take care!
Robyn