Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stress in Senegal...

Well, now that the vacation with Adam is over, I've started work again this last week. It's not easy starting up again after December holidays, as most of you know. In fact, I find that I'm now busier than ever- I have interviews to do, plus I've started volunteering with a local women's NGO, and I have a conference paper to prepare. In addition, it's been difficult to adjust without Adam here, and I've had to give up pop recently given my extreme over-indulgence (I don't drink much alcohol here, so when I go out, I'm always drinking pop!) So, now that I'm really busy and in withdrawal (of both Adam and sugar ;) I've been feeling rather stressed out, and I've composed a little (and growing) list of some of the things that cause me stress here in Senegal. That isn't to say that there aren't many lovely things that I enjoy here in Senegal, but there are some things that add to my stress levels here... So here's my list, entitled:

Stress in Senegal Is...

-worrying about your high fat/high sugar diet
-screaming/whining/crying children
-the hyper, barking dog
-the occasional cockroach
-a mouse living in the bathroom
-social commitments/obligations you can’t meet because you need to work
-construction workers banging away on things next door
-loud religious chanting early in the morning and late at night from the religious school nearby
-potential interview participants you can’t get in touch with
-people making jokes about you in a language you can’t understand
-trying to bargain/negotiate with taxi drivers/vendors/everyone
-arguing with taxi drivers/servers/everyone
-driving or being a passenger in a vehicle as other cars and mopeds swerve around you and you swerve around them
-not knowing where you are going and the taxi driver not knowing either
-always looking for proper change for the taxis so that you don't get stranded
-not being able to communicate or understand someone in an interview and you both start to get frustrated
-worrying about doing enough interviews in a week/finding enough participants (and worrying about not completing enough interviews before you go home)
-trying to do enough work before people visit so that you can take a break with them
-holidays that magically appear in the middle of the week based on interpretations of the moon and all of the offices and shops close
-having a husband living in a war zone
-being lonely but never alone
-having a conference paper to write
-having mosquitoes buzzing by your ears
-trying to chat on the computer with the tv blaring and everyone talking loudly, walking in and out of the room
-trying to work on the computer while strangers come to visit
-technology/internet not working
-cuts to the electricity
-cuts to the water

AND….

Never losing your cool and pretending to be happy about it!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate - Try not to get too stressed out, though I must say your list is impressive. Don't forget you do not have the stress of climbing snow banks, shovelling, crazy drivers who think that it is summer, waiting for a warm day so that you can be outside for more than 10 minutes. Oh I could go on on on.
Your time in Senegal will be over soon and you and Adam will be back in Toronto. Fortunately you will have your cat to take care of any mice in the bathroom.
Take care
Love
Sharon/Mom

KatMoss said...

Thanks for the encouragement Sharon! It's true that I don't have to worry about the stress of winter, and I am thankful for that!! If only I could have my kitty here right now to help out with that furry visitor in my bathroom...;)
Take care,
Kate

Adam said...

You are Queen Kvetchy. The cat is only a pretender to your throne.

KatMoss said...

But there is already a Kvetchy 2! This is getting very complicated...Oh, and sorry Robyn, I guess I should have posted this after you got here, not a few days before!! Don't worry- it'll be super fun, k? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is quite a list. Communication issues, constant noise, loneliness, I especially sympathize with the cockroach issue. I would have a panic attack if I saw a cockroach in my home. However, I saw an enormous tarantula in Mexico when we were zip lining in the jungle. It was crawling a few feet away from me and I didn't cry. I thought that was quite an accomplishment.
Cockroaches are the scum of the earth. How do they compare in size to the 3 inch long ones I worked with at Club M on Bloor? Have you tried pesticides or a mouse trap?
Not to worry, in a few months you'll be back in T.O. and you can have a whole new list of complaints. For example, crazy, rude, smelly or pushy people in the subway; smog; ever-increasing grocery prices; school deadlines, etc. Just look on the bright side, you're not shoveling snow!
Sarah

Unknown said...

Wow! I just read this blog and feel overwhelmed! Must feel good though to get it out there! Now focus only on those thing you can do something about and when you feel better, make a long list of all the positives in your life. It helps to achieve a balance. Try to break down the bigger tasks into smaller ones --- less overwhelming that way. Remember, you have excellent coping skills and will survive!! You've made it so far, and the weeks will fly by quickly. Robyn will be there and the two of you can enjoy some interesting adventures together. Hang in there. Love, Mom

KatMoss said...

Wow! Thanks for all of the support, team!! Sarah, I think I would have lost it with a tarantula- I definitely do not do spiders, especially the huge and hairy variety! The cockroaches here range in size, and I'm now thinking maybe my mouse is a valuable cockroach-eating friend... And thanks Mom, I'm sure my coping skills (i.e. sugar and caffeine) will help me get through this adventure ;) It is sometimes an overwhelming experience here, but it is also an incredible one...now if I could only get my hands on a pumpkin spice latte!!!

Unknown said...

That's the spirit! Keep that wonderful sense of humour :) Sometimes a good laugh is the best antidote to stress! Love, Mom