Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hamarakiya

I forgot to mention that after climbing we went out for soup. I feel obliged to mention this because the restaurant was quite unique. Ever since the episode of Seinfeld in which a certain fascist soup chef refused to serve customers that did not conform to the strict rules of the restaurant, soup places have popped up all over. Jerusalem is no exception. However, Hamarakiya (litterally, the soup place) defies all the rules and in fact, portrays an atmosphere of clutter, disorder and chaos. Everything in this tiny restaurant appears to have been acquired from of people's trash. All the soup bowls are chipped and even the handle on my tea mug was broken off. This and the ecclectic/eccentric array of chachkas on the walls contributes to the charm of Hamarakiya. As a bonus, the soup is really good.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Adam,

Sounds like you are enjoying the cuisine in your neighbourhood! I hope you are enjoying your nice weather, better than our -20 C! I can't count how many times I have had to dig my car out of the snow in the last week!!

Take care!
Robyn =)

Anonymous said...

Did you have mulligatawny?
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Adam - mother's advise. Bring your own dishes to the Hamarakiya.
Love, MOM