Friday, February 20, 2009

Back to the Blog!


I guess I've been a really bad blogger lately! I suppose my excuse is that life has been rather busy lately. I had a wonderful visit with Robyn and Pil (I'll try to find more pictures of their visit in the next while). We toured around Dakar, and then they visited Casamance, an area in the south of Senegal. I haven't been there yet myself, but I hope to go maybe in another month or two. Robyn and Pil left last week, and I've been trying to get my work organized again. So far so good. I'm officially half-way through my 237 day stay here, and I'm around half-way through my interviews as well (44 and counting). I'm trying to round up a few more before I visit Adam in (almost) 3 weeks time (very excited about this!). I'm also busy working on my conference paper for that trip, and I've joined a little language group to try to learn some of the local language- Wolof. I'm also doing some volunteer work for a local NGO and might join another community association here as an opportunity for more research experience. So life is busy! I think now that I'm half-way through, I see the end in sight and it's closer than I thought! So I'm scrambling a little to get as much out of my experience here as possible. But that's no excuse to miss out on my blogging responsibilities, so I promise to be in touch again soon!
Bisous,
Kate

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kate,
What a great photo with your twin sister! I am so glad that you will be seeing Adam again soon. You are definately keeping busy and moving along well with your various research activities. I envy your warm sunny temperatures---we are still having winter in "The Peg". Keep "Blogging"---I love the photos. Love, Mom

Robyn said...

What a nice photo, it was such a warm day that day! Don't forget to tell Jacinthe, the place that has tofu is called the Hong Kong shop I think and it is around the Place d'Independence - we walked past it on the tour of Dakar that day.
I vaguely remember now what it was like to swim in the ocean in February!! SIIIGH!

KatMoss said...

It was a really nice hot day! Unfortunately, since then it's been really chilly (around 16 degrees) and windy and dusty. I've had many Senegalese people that it has been unusually cold for this time of year. So I won't be going swimming again any time soon ;( But at least it's always sunny!!

Robyn said...

Hey Kate!

So you are saying that it is colder now than when I was visiting? What is going on, that is so weird! It should be getting hotter during the spring I would think. Oh well, less swimming and more working I guess =) I can't believe you will be visiting Israel in 2 weeks already, I bet it is warmer there! Are you going to swim in the Dead Sea??

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture. Half way through? The rest of your stay will go by quickly, especially with a side trip to Israel. You will have a wonderful time there.
Love,
Sharon