
Hi everyone,
I've had some internet problems that last few days, but now that I'm back, I have lots to share from my experience with Tabaski, the "Festival of Sacrifice." Tabaski is a Muslim festival celebrating Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son for god, who then replaced Abraham's son with a ram. Thus, the festival involves each household sacrificing a sheep (or goat) and then celebrating throughout the day by eating lots of meat, wearing new outfits, and visiting with neighbors to ask their forgiveness for any wrong-doing. The day began with a call to prayer and from my roof I could see many men (perhaps 200-300 or more) in colourful boubous praying outside in what is usually the nearby soccar field (which you can see in this picture here).
1 comment:
Such an interesting photo! There is so much preparation for the one special day---do they celebrate Tabaski over a few days? Marion
Post a Comment