
After the prayer, the male head of the household, with help from family members and neighbors, sacrificeed a sheep by cutting its throat and letting the blood collect in a hole dug outside the front door. I didn't get a chance to see this happen with my family, but I saw it happen with 2 of the neighbors, although I wasn't very close by when it happened (probably for the best). But I decided that if I can eat meat (which I do) I should be able to see how it makes its way to my table. Strangely, it wasn't so difficult to watch, but it was the smell later on that turned my stomach. After the sheep was killed, the male household head butchered the sheep in the back yard, and the female household head barbequed it on a large metal grill. I debated whether I should post pictures of the sheep here, of which I have many pictures, but decided that some of you may not appreciate these images ;) So instead I've posted a picture of the aftermath- the meal we enjoyed because of the sacrifice of the sheep. And while I'm not a big meat-eater, I'll admit it was pretty yummy!
4 comments:
thanks for the "after" shot!
No prob!! ;)
Oh, I should mention that the pile of yellowish stuff in the middle of the plate is a helping of yassa- an onion sauce that is quite tasty, even for someone that usually can't stand onions!
Actually looks delicious! They must freeze the leftover meat,or is most of it eaten or shared with family and neighbours? Marion
Post a Comment