Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kate's departure

October 20 was a strange day. This date had been looming for about a month. This was that day that I was to defend my dissertation proposal in the morning and say goodbye to Kate in the afternoon. Well, it all came to fruition yesterday. I presented and defended my proposal with some success, quickly rushed home to spend some last minute quality time with my wife, proceeded to the airport with her (and her ridonkulously overweight luggage), and then reluctantly said goodbye.

My pain was slightly eased yesterday at the pub, where I was joined by some very nice pre-ABD grad students who hung on every word as I described the horrors of defending one's proposal over beer.

Kate Skyped me from Charles de Gaul airport (Paris) at 2 am. She's doing well very considering her 10 hour layover before her next flight to Dakar. I also heard from her again at 8 am - this time a little weary, but still apparently content.

At this point, I'm in a liminal state. I've defended my existence to the institutionalized elites and now await in purgatory for my anthropology adventure to begin.

No comments: