I left Israel with my mom just after midnight on June 1. After 7 months of pita, hummus and ancient history I was really looking forward to some down time in the homeland. After a 12-13 hour flight from Tel Aviv we arrived in Toronto early in the morning. Mom continued on to Winnipeg, but I spent the day in Toronto to read my mail, meet with my professors, file paperwork, catch up with friends, and leave stuff that I wouldn't need in Winnipeg. After a long day, I went back to the airport and took a late flight to Winnipeg, this time with a lighter load but full of Sushi (on Bloor).
I arrived in Winnipeg to no fanfare. I stood alone by the luggage carousel listening to a recently reunited couple discuss potting soil for ten minutes until my suitcase turned up. I walked outside into frigid June weather and, not surprisingly, questioned what I had been missing all this time.
Since then, I've tried to find the some of the nicer aspects of Winnipeg. Two days ago, I walked down Academy Rd. in search for a drink and nice place to read outside. Sadly, Starbucks was the only business that offered such an apparently exotic option. I walked home missing the challenging topography, Herodian walls, Ottoman fortifications, and other people walking. However, to make up for this, two complete strangers greeted me along the way, something that never happened to me in Israel (unless you consider a body check or a a car backing into you to be a friendly greeting). But last night I engaged in a more traditionally Canadian notion of a good time. I visited with friends as we watched a Standly Cup hockey game on TV and drank beer. All in all, I'm happy to be home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And I'm so glad you're home- it means I'll be home soon too and I'll get to see you and family and friends...and the cat! Oh, do I miss our kitty!!
Hey Adam!
Welcome home! I hope you are having fun in Winnipeg, and I am sooooo jealous that you went to sushi on bloor! You definitely chose the right cup my friend!
Take care,
Robyn
Post a Comment