Monday, June 15, 2009

On my way home...

Wow! I cannot believe that this day has finally come. I have been anticipating what this day would be like the moment I left Toronto for Senegal. It has a been a very rewarding, frustrating, exciting, lonely, inspiring, stressful and complicated experience for me. I am sad to leave behind some really friendly, kind people I met here. I will miss the yummy food, sociability, beautiful clothing and energizing music. But I will really not miss the dust, garbage, traffic jams, stray animals and begging children. I am so looking forward to seeing Adam, my family and friends, and of course my cat! I thought I would share a few pictures from my last few weeks here. Besides working hard to finish up my research, I did find time to have a little fun ;)



These are some of my very good friends here in Senegal, at a party at the home of my friend Doris. We had a wonderful time, and I hope to have the chance to meet with them again in the near future.



I was able to see a Youssou Ndour concert here, which I was really excited about since he is probably the best known Senegalese singer. It was a great show, but he only took the stage at 2:30am, and even I was a little tired by the time it ended at 4:00am.



Every Sunday, the family I live with eats maffe for lunch, and we sit together on the floor and eat out of a big bowl with spoons (traditionally, you use your hands, but spoons are a little less messy). I was given the recipe for maffe, and I'm going to try my best to make it at home, but I don't think it will be quite as tasty as it is here!!

So now I'm leaving in just 2 hours for the airport, and then it will be another 24 hours of flying and layovers until I get home. But I've waited this long, so I think I can handle one more day!!

A bientôt,
Kate

No comments: