Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Petra

After much anticipation, my mom arrived in Israel...about 2 weeks ago. Soon after her arrival she attended a conference at a kibbutz while I finished as much work as I could. And before we knew it we were ready for our big trip to Petra! I had been to Jordan once before but hadn't had the opportunity to visit Petra. I've regretted it ever since, not because I owed it to myself, but because when my visit to Jordan comes up in conversation, people have one and only one question: "did you go to Petra?" Now I can say I've been there.

Actually, aside from this notch on my belt, it was one of the most spectacular places I've ever seen. The Nabataeans, who built their capital starting in the late 4th century BC, mostly carved their buildings and tombs out of the colourful faces of the sandstone mountains.

Mom and me on the edge of Maktash Ramon, a massive (40 x 8 km) crater in the Negev desert.

The siq, a very long, narrow gorge that leads to the Treasury and the city of Petra.

Me in front of the Treasury and a couple of camels.

4 comments:

KatMoss said...

I absolutely love your photos! I'm so jealous- I wish I could have been there too! I'm so glad you and your mom are having a wonderful trip, and then you're off to Canada...see you in a few weeks!!
xxoo
Kate

Unknown said...

Truly amazing photos! Glad you are both having a wonderful time together. Looking forward to seeing you soon! Love, Marion

Robyn said...

Hey Adam, while you were there did you manage to pick up any old cups? Be careful, they could be dangerous!

Glad you're having a great trip!!
Robyn

Adam said...

I'm happy you like the photos. There are many more where they came from. And Robyn, let's just say I chose wisely.