Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Purim

Jerusalem usually projects a strange combination of agitated chaos and somber reflection. However, for a brief two days of the year, non-religious, religious, super-religious, and super-duper-religious Jews alike share in the common spirit of getting drunk for purim. For those who don't know, purim is a holiday akin to halloween in which children and adults dress in costumes and eat sweet things. However, like all Jewish holidays and unlike halloween, purim is a celebration of religious oppression and subsequent deliverance from annihilation. In this particular case, Haman, a Persian noble under King Xerxes I, plotted to get rid of the Jews and like all good Hollywood and Torah endings, the good guys won. Haman and his minion were killed and the Persian Jews led by Queen Esther, prospered (until the next oppression).

Ever since, and this is the part I can't figure out, Jewish people have been eating cookies shaped like Haman's hat or ears or pockets (not too sure) and getting blitzed in costume. Even the Haredi Jews wear costumes - and not just their traditional black suits. In fact, a popular get-up for non-religious kids is to dress as a Haredi kid. Come to think of it, I don't know if half of paius-clad kids I saw this week were legitimate or playing the part.

I took part in this holiday when I attended a purim party in the lab ("every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in"). In the photo you see below, I'm in my full costume. This was a theme party. Guests were asked to dress with the theme of evolution in mind (I think because this the Year of the Darwin - 150 yrs since first publication of On the Origin of Species). Given my limited wardrobe here, I went for a subtle and easily printed, cut and taped to a t-shirt costume. To make this interesting, I won't tell you what I was. But I'll give you a clue in addition to the fact that you know it's in the spirit of evolution. The clue: Stephen Jay Gould. Wikipedia should give you the answer. The first person to comment with the correct answer wins my esteem. Good luck.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Adam,
Love the costume! Of course I love a challenge... and thanks to Wikipedia, my guess is that you are paying tribute to "punctuated equilibrium" (long periods of evolutionary stability punctuated by rare instances of branching evolution)Very clever T-shirt! Hope you had a fun time : ) Love, M
PS. I'm sure everyone but me already knew this.

Anonymous said...

Wow, go Marion! I definitely did not already know that. Very clever costume Adam. It might actually beat your Russian dictator costume.
-Sarah

Adam said...

Congratulations Marion - you got it right!

Anonymous said...

ADAM!!! I have a huge intellectual crush on Steven Jay Gould and have just been re-reading some of his stuff on contingency and here you are name-dropping him in your blog!

I like reading this to see how you and Kate are doing. Glad to see things are going so well for both of you!

Take care,
Amy (the tall one)

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam - Love the costume. I suppose you were getting tired of your Harrison Ford, Dracula (or was that Sarah?)costumes. I remember having to take all the face makeup off.
Great blog. Take care.
Enjoy your visit with Kate.
Love MOM