Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Canadiana

I have to admit, I'm usually not a very patriotic Canadian, at least, I often don't feel the need to tell everyone that Canada is the best country in the world and so on. I think this is a common Canadian trait- we know we have a pretty nice country, but we don't need to boast about it like some of our neighbors ;) I rather like that we are not so full of pride that we are blinded to our nation's faults. But I will say that having lived for almost 5 months in a West African country, I now appreciate Canada more than ever before. I think I take less for granted. This includes public health care. If you get sick in Senegal and you don't have money or relatives that can help you out, you cannot get medical attention, and something minor could easily turn into a life-threatening illness. Similarly, there is no social safety net here, which is a real problem with such a high unemployment rate (somewhere near 50%). Again, you might be ok if you have relatives to support you. If you don't, there might be a few charities to give you a helping hand, but otherwise, you are on your own. And while we have our share of political problems, issues of corruption don't generally threaten the continued stability and peace of the country as is the case here, where people are growing increasingly frustrated with the apparent disconnect between the government and its population. Then there are more minor things. Having water and power cut off is also a frequent occurrence that isn't all that common in Canada. As well, unlike Canada, I don't think to myself "I hope I make it!" every time I get into a car, especially one of these beat-up taxis with no seat belts. Of course, I also think there are some things that Canada can learn from Senegal. There is a real sociality here where people interact with neighbors, family and friends all the time, allowing for a real feeling of connection. As well, the food is delicious- maffe may be one of my favorite dishes of all time! And of course, beautiful beaches and no winters at 50 below! So, I do my best to enjoy what I can here, and I think I will return to Canada with a renewed appreciation for my country and the many benefits of being a Canadian.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog! I agree with you that we do take health and social services, as well as political stability for granted. Your anthropology background serves you well! Stay safe and healthy. Love, M

Adam said...

I'm glad you can step back and see the big picture. I suppose you don't realize how fortunate you are until you loose your fortune. Not to worry, you will be able to rid yourself of all those African ailments as soon as you get back to Canada where you'll be able to take advantage of Canada's relatively generous public health system.